According to 4-H History Preservation, 4-H Softball has a rich national 4-H history, since the beginning in the 1930’s it has transformed and enriched the life of 4-H members and alumni to this day. Frank Graham, former Chairman of Extension Youth Development at the University of Missouri, advocated for the sport in article published in June 1966 in the National 4-H News.
He explained, “Sports help make young people well rounded. They develop physically, mentally, morally and socially. As a nation, we are falling short of top physical condition, the experts say. We need more exercise, and 4-H can help. Mental development comes from sports in the form of alertness and good reactions and reflexes. Learning good sportsmanship is a moral gain, I feel, and learning to win or lose gracefully develops boys and girls socially.”
and he went on to say sports can contribute to good citizenship through the teaching of courage, self discipline, and persistence. He insisted when youth participate in sports, it acts as a springboard to participation in other educational activities of 4-H.
Here in Dunn County:
Any 4-Her who joins 4-H before May 1st may participate in 4-H Softball. We typically have three leagues; Junior league for ages 8-12, Intermediate league for ages 11-14, and Senior league for ages 13-18.
- Each team must submit a complete roster to the Extension Office prior to the first game; the initial Roster is typically due April 15th and the Final Rosters are typically due May 15th of that season.
- Coaches and Umpire information must be submitted by April 15th of that season.
- A mandatory meeting for coaches and umpires will be set early May of that season.
- Each year the Rules and Guidelines are agreed upon by the coaches and assistants at the first meeting of the season.
- Each player have Consent Form and Code of Conduct form filled out by the first game.
- Each year a Softball Chair will be appointed and will act as the main liaison between 4-H Softball and the UW-Extenstion
Below you will find information on the 2016 4-H Softball season:
The Softball Committee voted Chad Amundson to be the Softball Chair for the 2016 softball season. Scores, basic questions, and possible softball issues should go directly through Chad this year. He will then disseminate the information to the UW-Extension Office.
Chad’s Contact Information:
email@example.com | 715-556-5614
If you have any questions regarding 4-H Youth Development, please contact:
4-H Youth Development Educator
4-H Program Assistant
Dunn County UW-Extension
3001 US Hwy 12 E, Room 102
Menomonie WI 54751-3045