Dunn County Enrollment Information:
New 4-Hers may enroll at any time!!
However, in order to participate in the Dunn County 4-H fair and/or 4-H softball, members must be enrolled by May 1st. May 1st is the deadline for new members to join 4-H and still be able to exhibit at the Dunn County Fair in the Junior Division. Enrollments must be in the UW-Extension office by May 1st.
After May 1st you may still join 4-H, but will not be allowed to play softball or exhibit at the Dunn County Fair in the Junior Division for the current year.
Age categories as youth grow with 4-H explained:
Explorers: Youth in grades 3. It is meant to allow kids to try a variety of project areas and to exhibit a variety of projects at the fair. Youth in grades 3 are required to take Exploring as a project on 4HOnline.
Members: Youth in grades 4 and up participate as regular members.
**Grade is determined by registration into the school district during the 4-H enrollment period. When a child exhibits at the fair, they are enrolled under the grade that they just completed, not the grade they will be entering in Fall after the fair.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When you join 4-H, you are expected to attend your club’s meetings and enroll in at least one 4-H project.
- 4-H members are encouraged to share what they have learned in their projects by displaying their work at the Dunn County Fair, Arts Festival, or by giving a public demonstration. Each of these is an opportunity for 4-H members to achieve recognition and awards.
- Clubs organize community service projects and host events and activities. Members are encouraged to participate in these community projects.
- 4-H members are encouraged to keep a record through pictures and stories of their 4-H experiences throughout the 4-H year. These record books are turned in to club leaders in the fall and then returned to members for a lasting memory of their 4-H years.
- All clubs have different expectations of their members beyond this general list, so talk with you club leader
- Becoming a certified 4-H Project, Key, or Resource Leader
- Assisting members in selecting 4-H Projects
- Attending club meetings
- Helping members with club activities
- Being supportive and showing interest in member and club activities
- Providing assistance to the general and project leaders
- Serving on a club or county committee of your choice
- Offering your skills and talents. (Parents make great project leaders!)
- Providing Transportation
This is just a short list of what you can do as a parent. Ask your General Leader about other ways you can help!
The most important role of adults in 4-H is to support their children in the commitments they make, help them think through decisions, and assist them in reaching their goals. By making 4-H a family affair, parents and adults can assist the youth of today to become tomorrows leaders.
Are you interested in 4-H? – Joining a club is easy!
Three Simple Steps
(1) Find a Dunn County Club you’d like to join.
(2) Create an account on 4-H Online
(3) Contact your Club Leader & go to your first meeting!!
First, find a club near you.
After locating a club/s that you may be interested in, reach out to the club leaders. They are happy to give you more information about their specific club. Check out the club meeting schedule and contact information sheet for Club Leader’s contact information and the Dunn County Family Handbook a quick inside look of the Dunn County 4-H Community Clubs.
Now that you have enrolled make sure to attend your next clubs meeting to get started right away!
Also check out the Project Enrollment Guide to see which projects you might be interested in taking to the fair!
If you would like help navigating the process feel free to call the Dunn County UW-Extension office for guidance. Just explain that you are looking into joining a 4-H club and we’ll connect you with the right person (UW-EX: 715-232-1636)
Stay Updated with the Dunn County 4-H program on Facebook!
If you have any questions regarding 4-H Youth Development, please contact:
4-H Program Assistant
Dunn County UW-Extension
3001 US Hwy 12 E, Room 102
Menomonie WI 54751-3045